Saturday, July 21, 2012

Review: Orcs Must Die! (2/5)

This is a game review for Orcs Must Die! It was on sale earlier this week during the Steam summer sale for only about $3. I had never heard of it but I checked a couple reviews and it came highly recommended so I couldn't resist picking it up. It's a new take on classic tower defense games that has you running around in a 3rd person view attacking the incoming monsters while also placing traps for them. This genre is new but it appears to be getting fairly popular. Another seemingly similar game that happens to be on sale for the next few hours is Dungeon Defenders. I haven't played it myself but it sounds simple and fun. I opted not to pick it up due to already having Orcs Must Die! Anyway on to the review. I'm going to try this in a different format today and keep it simple.

Things I liked:
  • Gameplay is fun and simple. Cool watching orcs die to towers and fun shooting or slashing them.
  • Quite a variety of towers.
  • Story was simple, but humorous and fit the theme of the game.
  • Easy learning curve and no problem jumping right in and smashing stuff.

Things I didn't like:
  • I always enjoyed setting up intricate mazes in tower defense games, but due to the price of barricades it is impractical to do that in this game.
  • Levels were fairly short so building up a really powerful defense was difficult.
  • Despite variety of towers some seemed impractical on most levels.
  • Some variety of enemies but game still started to feel repetitive near the end.

Overall: I liked it and was worth my few hours of fun for the price. If you can't pick it up for less than $5 though I don't think I'd recommend it unless you are a serious tower defense fan and need something new and interesting. 

Final Score: 2/5 



No comments: